Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute of Theoretical Informatics
Am Fasanengarten 5
76131 Karlsruhe Germany
- March 2019: I attend the Workshop on Geometry and Graphs in Barbados.
- Feb 2019: I attend the Dagstuhl seminar Beyond-Planar Graphs: Combinatorics, Models and Algorithms.
- Feb 2019: Jonathan Rollin is visiting. Feel free to stop by and say hello.
- Nov 2018: I give a talk (in German) on November 16 at Nacht der Wissenschaft in Karlsruhe. More details under ndw-ka.de.
- Sept 2018: I am at the Graph Drawing Conference in Barcelona, Spain.
- Sept 2018: I am at the Order and Geometry Workshop near Poznan, Poland.
- Aug 2018: The SW-Graphs 2018 Workshop was a great success – Many thanks to all participants!
- June 2018: On June 20th, I will give a talk in the research seminar of the Discrete Mathematics group. If you are interested in Cover Decomposition for Bottomless Rectangles, feel free to join.
- May 2018: On May 2nd, I will give a talk in the research seminar of the Discrete Mathematics group. If you are interested in A generalized Crossing Lemma, feel free to join.
- April 2018: More information on the SW-Graphs 2018 Conference is available on the homepage.
- April 2018: Michael Kaufmann is visiting. Feel free to stop by and say hello to him.
- Feb 2018: In April I will visit Jean Cardinal in Brussels for one week of intensive research.
- Dec 2017: On December 13th, I will give my inaugural lecture at the math department. If you are interested in How many colors are needed for a minor, feel free to join.
- Nov 2017: On November 23rd, I will give a talk in the research seminar of the Discrete Mathematics group. If you are interested in The maximum crossing number, feel free to join.
- Nov 2017: In December I will visit Piotr Micek in Krakow for one week of intensive research.
- Nov 2017: Piotr Micek is visiting. Feel free to stop by and say hello to him.
- Oct 2017: In November I will visit Stefan Felsner in Berlin for one week of intensive research.
- Oct 2017: I am coorganizing the First Southwestern German Workshop on Graph Theory, to be held August 27-31, 2018.
- Oct 2017: I joined the group Algorithmics I. Happy to be here.
I am interested in discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science. In particular I have been working in graph theory, game theory, combinatorics, and computational geometry. I consider mostly combinatorial problems within a geometric setting, such as planar graphs, intersections models of graph, or point sets in the plane.
I was born in Berlin, where I also did my studies. I did my Ph.D. with my advisor Stefan Felsner at the Department of Mathematics at the Technische Universität Berlin. Afterwards I joined the group of Jan Kratochvil at the Department of Applied Mathematics at Charles University in Prague. From September 2012 to September 2017 I was working in the Discrete Mathematics group at the mathematical department of KIT, where I did my habilitation in 2017. Since October 2017 I am a member of the work group Algorithmics I at the Institute of Theoretical Informatics.
|Research||Graph Theory and Geometry (more details below)|
|Publications||List of all publications|
|Teaching||List of all teaching done at KIT|
|Supervision||List of all supervised theses|
Structural Graph Theory
- Graph Covering and Decomposition (arboricities, covering numbers, …)
- Combinatorial Structures (Schnyder woods, transversal structures, …)
- Extremal Problems (coupled parameters, worst-case in classes, …)
- Sparsity (bounded expansion, bounded maximum average degree, …)
- Vertex and Edge Colorings (chromatic number, improper colorings, …)
- Ramsey Theory (Ramsey classes, Ramsey equivalence, …)
- Ordered Graphs (book emeddings, queue numbers, …)
Geometric Graph Theory
- Intersection Representations (VPG graphs, interval graphs, …)
- Contact Representations (rectangular dissections, higher dimensions, …)
- Restricted Planar Embeddings (cartograms, alignment problems, …)
- Graph Drawing (fan-planarity, crossing lemma, …)
- Proximity Notions (range spaces, Delauney graphs, …)
- Hypergraphs (planarity, cover decomposition, …)
Partially Ordered Sets
- Dimension Theory (local dimension, boxicity, …)
- Representations (inclusion orders, PI-orders, …)
- Cover Graphs (planarity, book embeddings, …)
- Lattices (alpha-orientations, chain decompositions, …)
- Spatial Point Sets (point set embedding, epsilon-nets, …)
- Pseudodisks (non-crossing connectors, homothets, …)
Combinatorial Game Theory
- Two-Player Games (pizza games, Tron, …)
last update: April 2019